July 13, 2016
You will most likely have started out in business by utilising and adopting various pieces of software into your business as it grew, which, worked for a while but are now starting to show signs of being stretched and a ‘band aid’ approach only seems to offer a temporary fix .
I can assure you that you are not alone….
Starting the search for a business system that can provide an end to end solution for your business should be a priority as the longer you leave it and your business continues to grow, the harder it will become and the harder the impact will be on your business (and band aids turn in bandages!).
So what should you be on the lookout for to procure a business system?
- Don’t settle for an add-on to your existing accounting system, ask yourself how this can provide you with the features that you really need? You may think that it offers enough in terms of functionality but you should research products that are intended for manufacturing businesses not accounting…
- When searching, consider your business resources including staff and how they currently work and what may be acceptable for them. If your staff do not feel comfortable with the new solution they may be resistant to using it and that would be a waste of money and time. Finding solutions that are windows based and user friendly are paramount as most employees use and understand the Windows platform and its ‘look and feel’, if you can find a solution that operates on the Windows principles you have more chance of it being acceptable and even embraced by your staff which will reduce friction and greatly improve implementation time and user acceptance.
- If you are going to go to the trouble of implementing a new system into your business then look for an end to end solution, that way you will address all the areas and gain that elusive ‘single point of truth’ for all your business data. Consider a solution that provides a CRM, sales quotes and estimates, purchasing, job scheduling and management, employee and job clocking, web based services, POS (if applicable), inventory control, QA systems, Despatch, Invoicing and ‘end to end’ reporting and BI (business intelligence) tools. Even if you don’t require all the features right now it is good to know that as your business grows you can scale up with the same software package rather than having to procure another solution down the track.
- Real time analysis of your business including – job costings, productivity, inventory and stock on hand, automatic reordering and full e commerce if required. The ability to produce ‘live’ reports and to be able to filter information to drill down on all aspects of your business is a very powerful tool.
- A solution that can be set up to work with your business processes, don’t settle for a solution that involves you having to alter your processes to work with the software, you have spent enough time and effort building your business so why change it now, insist on this as you don’t want the pain and cost that comes with having to reconfigure your business processes?
- Flexibility to offer expansion and add-ons as and when you need them down the track. Don’t settle for a solution that just provides what you need today, think ahead and plan for what you may require in 2,3 and 5 years time.
- Consider your technology requirements, do you require mobile clocking, remote logins, production flow terminals, despatch screens, bar code scanners, mobile apps etc. Remember efficiency gains can be found in all corners of your business.
We offer a personalised demo that focuses on your businesses requirements and workflows which allows you to see how flexible and adaptable our solution can be. Contact us for a no pressure, no obligation demo or chat with our friendly team.